Regardless of who cleans, you’ll need an Airbnb cleaning checklist to follow throughout each transition to maintain a specific standard of hygiene. All else is acceptable, but cleanliness is not. It is the primary factor that will determine whether your Airbnb business succeeds or fails.
You’ll discover a detailed cleaning Airbnb checklist in this article that you can use to maintain your unit guest-ready.
1. Assemble the Cleaning Team
Regardless of whether you hire a qualified cleaning staff or do it yourself, cleanliness is one of the most crucial criteria that Airbnb hosts must achieve in order to meet the system’s high visitor standards.
The first step to successful Airbnb cleaning standards is to set up a cleaning team and have everything ready and in order.
Positive visitor evaluations and greater traffic will result from your thorough and detailed reaction to Covid-19 as a host. Here are some suggestions for keeping your Airbnb unit as clean as possible.
2. What Should Your Cleaning Strategy Contain?
Vacation Rental Cleaning Checklist
Since guests typically comment on the place’s cleanliness in their Airbnb evaluations, cleanliness is a critical component that can significantly impact your Airbnb business.
We’ve created a vacation rental cleaning checklist so that you or anybody cleaning your short-term property understands precisely what to do. These vital services should be included in the Airbnb cleaning checklist for each changeover.
- Examine your unit and remove any objects that have been left behind.
- Prepare the bedding, wash the towels and sheets, and replace them.
- Dishes, toaster, teapot, stove, and other items should all be cleaned and set aside.
- Clean furniture and other surfaces.
- Vacuum carpeting and mats and mop the floors.
- Disinfect and clean the bathrooms, bathtubs, and showers.
- Wipe down the counters, doorknobs, and light switches.
- Remove the trash.
- Resupply your space’s necessities, such as coffee, bin bags, napkins, liquid soap, shampoo, and dish detergent.
- Finish up with a last scan of the entire house and some final touches.
For your short term rental cleaning checklist, the following are the necessary elements for keeping your property clean and tidy for each guest:
- Your cleaning crew’s efficiency
- The punctuality with which they arrive
In addition, at least once every year, you should book an Airbnb cleaning. It’s preferable to hire the same cleaning Airbnb crew for both regular and thorough cleaning because they’ll be more familiar with your place and its specific needs.
Airbnb Cleaning Supplies
However, before you begin cleaning your home, double-check that you have all of the essential tools and cleaning supplies:
- Vacuum sacks and a decent vacuum for carpets
- A large number of microfibre cloths
- A microfiber sweeper for wood floors
- Cleaner for glass surfaces
- A wood cleaning and polish
- Cleaner for kitchens and surfaces that is multi-purpose
- Soap for the dishwasher
- Shower cleanser that foams
- A brush for the toilet
- Sanitizer for bathrooms, baths, and other microbe-prone places
- A brush for scrubbing
- A few scrub pads for extra-sticky dirt
- Sponges and detergent
- Pumice rock
You may have to add some special cleaning items and supplies for your personal rental house because this is a standard list for everyone to get started.
3. How to Clean Airbnb Homes
What else should your Airbnb cleaning checklist take in? First, let’s see what experts have to say about this cleaning strategy.
A well-equipped kitchen is the heart and soul of any rental property, and it’s one of the main reasons why people prefer Airbnb vacation rentals to hotels. As a result, you must always give your kitchen a thorough cleaning, and here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Clean and sanitize all items, surfaces, cabinets, and cupboards externally.
- Sanitize all of the utensils by hand or put them in the dishwasher.
- Disinfect the stove.
- Clean ventilators and hoods.
- Wipe the interior and outside of the microwave and refrigerator.
- Sanitize the sink and drain.
- Remove any food that has been left.
- Replace the filthy trash bag with a new one.
- Sweep the floor and wipe the windows.
Tidying Living Rooms
Your visitors will use the living areas to unwind and socialize. To keep your visitors pleased, ensure to put on your Airbnb cleaning checklist that the living spaces must be accessible and tidy.
- Wipe all surfaces and polish wooden furniture.
- Sterilize all light switches and remote controls.
- Vacuum all couches and under them.
- Vacuum all carpets and mop flat floors.
- Remove any bug cobwebs.
- Wipe the windows.
- Clean baseboards and coving.
No one wants to stay in a place with a filthy bathroom, so do whatever you can to make sure yours is in great shape. The following are the Airbnb cleaning standards when it comes to cleaning bathrooms.
- Thoroughly clean and sanitize toilets.
- Disinfect all sinks, tubs, and showers.
- Using a window detergent, polish the faucets and the mirrors.
- Clean tiles and grouts.
- Remove hairs or clogs from the bath drain.
- Wash and change bathroom linens.
It’s ideal if your cleaning crew also does laundering. However, if you have separate cleaning and laundry services, it’s critical that they operate effectively together.
Your visitors want a relaxing vacation, so do all that you can to guarantee they receive a decent good night’s rest. Here are some tips for your bedroom Airbnb cleaning checklist to keep your bedrooms clean, pleasant, and organized.
- Change beds’ used sheets with new ones.
- Dust and clean all surfaces and windows.
- Take out the trash.
- Clean light switches, remotes, and ceiling fans.
- Vacuum underneath the bed and polish the furniture.
- Clean the floor with a sweeper or a vacuum.
Clearing Out Laundry Rooms
Because laundry rooms and entry areas are frequently used as entrances to your home, they can become filthy and need to be cleaned regularly.
- Ensure the dryer is free of trash and lint.
- Clean the washer and dryer.
- Sanitize the machine’s controls, knobs, and doors.
- Wash the sink and unclog the drain.
- Wipe windows and blinds.
- Restock cleaning products, detergent, and fabric softener.
- Make sure your laundry bins and drying stands are entirely ready to use.
- Clean baseboards and moldings.
- Sweep and vacuum the floor and carpets.
If you have any outdoor spaces, make sure to sweep away dirt, waste, leaves, and other debris so that dirt does not track inside the house.
Whether you want to clean your Airbnb rental home yourself or hire a professional cleaning service, it’s critical to plan out every aspect of the cleaning process. First, of course, you should have a paper version of your service Airbnb cleaning checklist in an easily available spot so that your cleaners can quickly refer to it if necessary.
4. Important Airbnb Cleaning Requirements
Remember to keep crucial considerations in mind whether you pay a qualified cleaning service or clean it yourself:
- To avoid color bleeds, shrinking, and pilling, don’t buy cheap furniture. They appear unkempt and ragged.
- Buy three sets of towels, bedding, and blankets, for example. One is always in usage, one is used for washing, and the third is kept in reserve in case of an emergency.
- Cleaning does not have to be done every day. Each stay begins with a thorough cleaning. If the guests require cleaning in between, they must pay an extra price, which you can demand via the ‘menu’s request money feature.
- For two primary reasons, it is preferable to have white bed linens and towels:
- First, it demonstrates that the property is well-managed.
- Second, bleaching white material makes stains simpler to remove.
- It’s best to have white, cotton fabric linen.
- Keep cleaning materials on hand and available to guests as needed, but secure the storage with a lock system to prevent unauthorized access.
- Notify daily your cleaning crew of the cleaning procedures.
- When you can, schedule a monthly inspection to maintain high standards.
- If there is a complaint concerning cleanliness, please make sure to send it to the cleaners.
- If multiple cleaning and laundry services are working, ensure sure they interact and operate well together.
- Make sure that no filthy or damp laundry is left in the facilities overnight.
- If they desire a late exit, ask guests to leave their luggage behind and return to get it before another visitor arrives.
- Don’t let the prior visitor check out late. Instead, make sure the new guest checks in earlier the following morning and prioritize the new guest.
5. Additional House Rules
No Food in the Bedroom
This Airbnb cleaning checklist regulation can save you time and money, but if you have a kitchen, you won’t be able to avoid it. If a stain happens, it’s advisable to request compensation (remember, white bed-linen is the best alternative to use).
No Footwear Inside
Whenever you invite people into your property (and charge them), you shouldn’t be surprised if they bring their own rules with them. Of course, it’s not desirable, but that’s human nature, and there’s likely not much you can do about it.
Posting a sign (or several signs) near the door is your best option. It will not only keep your rugs and floor much easier to clean, but it will also save you money and time with the cleaning crew.
This could be chocolate, bouquets, or gift certificates that you leave for your visitors. Set up a welcoming sign with the initials of the guests if you have one. Verify that the keys have been returned and are ready to use.
6. Off-Season Clean-up Checklist
Depending on how frequently you rent your Airbnb, you may have the opportunity to undertake deep cleanings on occasion. Here is a year-long Airbnb cleaning checklist to help you stay organized.
On a Monthly Basis
- Look for any damaged light bulbs
- Inspect the plumbing and taps throughout the property
- Trim any overgrown plants
- Remove weeds from the walkway or patio area
Three to Six Months
- Open all the windows and doors of your property to let the fresh air in
- Deep clean all furniture
- Wipe behind and beneath the refrigerator and stove thoroughly
Once Per Year
- Clean all cabinets by emptying them and wiping them down
- Fix minor stains on the carpeting or furniture (big stains should be handled right away)
- Repaint any paint chips
- Repair scuffs on the walls, surfaces, or wooden furniture
7. Safety Note
It’s vital to take precautions if you’re cleaning your property. When cleaning Airbnb, make sure you use cleaning gloves and eyewear. Also, individually use bleach and ammonium products wherever possible. They can combine to produce dangerous chlorine gas, putting you and your visitors in danger.
It takes a lot of effort to keep an Airbnb tidy. You will save a lot of time and tension by hiring a cleaning crew and optimizing the procedure. Whether you employ a cleaning service or do the job yourself, it’s critical to keep your property spotless at all times. To guarantee that your guests come to a perfect property, buy and keep refilled a powerful cleaning kit, and complete the above checklist.
8. Covid-19 Precautions
When local laws and norms require it, wear a mask and maintain social distance. All hosts and guests must consent to the following as needed by local laws or rules:
- When dealing with people, wear a mask or a face covering.
- Maintain a 6 feet/2-meter gap between you and others at all times.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If hand washing isn’t available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- When it is secure and safe to do so, air out common areas during the visit, as stated in the cleaning routine.
- Often wash and sterilize common facilities (such as bathrooms and kitchens).
It’s necessary to have a cleaning strategy to keep you or your cleaners on track. One of the most complete and scientifically supported ways to ensure that you have handled everything is to use an Airbnb cleaning checklist. You won’t have to stress about another person criticizing your hygiene if you check off every element on this maintenance checklist, and you’ll be more likely to achieve the best reviews.
As part of your Airbnb management process, be sure to use the Mashvisor Airbnb calculator to say on top of your expenses and accurately estimate your profits. The tool boasts a simple interface and is highly intuitive and easy to use. Start out your 7-day free trial with Mashvisor now to try it for free!