Andrew Carnegie was a Scottish-American industrialist and philanthropist and is well known for saying that 90% of millionaires made their fortunes by investing in real estate. There’s a lot of debate as to the truth in that statement, but there’s no denying that the real estate market does have the potential to make vast amounts of money.
For the last couple of decades, buying rental property has been a very viable investment option for an increasing number of people. Buy-to-let mortgages have made this option more accessible than ever before.
The Benefits of Becoming a Real Estate Tycoon
Real estate investing is not the same as buying a home to live in. Rather than investing in a property that costs you money every month, you’re buying a cash-flowing rental property that puts money into your pocket.
There are plenty of real estate millionaires out there, and there’s no reason why you can’t be one too.
Here are some of the reasons why so many millionaires use real estate as an investment.
Positive Cash Flow
Your tenants will be paying you rent which means that after you’ve paid any recurring expenses, the rest is positive cash flow. Having a source of income that doesn’t take up huge amounts of your time is essential in building wealth.
There are obviously going to be some properties that lose money, but generally, you can expect the value of any real estate you own to increase in value. Such increases take place while the loan is being paid down. At the same time, your property gains equity or value, so your net worth increases.
Federal Tax Benefits
You might not have realized up to this point, but there are tax benefits to owning property. These tax benefits happen to be one of the best benefits you learn about when you’re finding out how to become a millionaire real estate investor.
The US government introduced these tax benefits to encourage property investment. They include lowering your taxes, including property and mortgage deductions, depreciation, no self-employment tax on your rental income, and much more.
Even though you might be bringing in more income, you could end up paying fewer taxes overall.
You can use leverage in several ways to enhance your real estate strategy and investment options.
- Leverage with money: You can either get a mortgage or persuade investors to invest with you.
- Leverage with time: When you passively invest in projects, you’re leveraging other people’s time. You have an active investor who finds the deal and manages it while you, the passive investor provide the funding.
- Leverage other people’s experience: If you’re just learning how to become a real estate investor, you can leverage the expertise of others.
- Leverage with your rental property: the more rental properties you own, the more leverage you have within the property itself.
Principal Pay Down
This is a benefit you can enjoy that will help you build your net worth. While you’re paying down your mortgage with interest, each payment pays back some principle, and you get closer to owning the property outright. This means you’re building equity and wealth.
If you’ve already got a property with equity, it’ll be much easier to do a cash-out refinance when you want to buy a new property. What makes this benefit even better is that a cash-out refinance is tax-free income.
It’s a Feel Good Business
You’re helping others by providing rental properties, and you’re richly rewarded for it. If you want to increase the feel-good factor, bear the following in mind:
- Aim to improve the property and the community when you invest in properties
- Engage in win-win transactions only
- Check that everyone involved in your deals finds them beneficial and uplifting
How to Become a Millionaire Real Estate Investor in 9 Easy Steps
1. Learn About Real Estate Investing
Learn as much as you can about the different types of strategies and investments. When you’re finding out how to get rich, look at how taxes work, what you have to do to manage your properties and secure financing. Understand the four wealth generators, cash flow, tax savings, equity, and appreciation, and how they work.
2. Set Goals and Make a Plan
With a clear understanding of what you’re getting involved in, you’re ready to set goals and make a plan.
You can be general about your goal, as in buying real estate and becoming a millionaire, but you need to look a little deeper than that. Think about answering the following questions:
- What do you want?
- Why do you want it?
- What do you hope your life will look like when you achieve your goal?
- By what date would you like to achieve your goal?
- How do you plan to achieve your goal?
You’ll find it very beneficial if you break your goal into smaller milestones. Then, think about what you need to do every day to get you closer.
You’re starting a real estate business, so you need a business plan, much the same as any other business. However, no two business plans are ever the same because they depend on your current situation.
However, try not to get stuck for too long in the planning stage, fussing about the tiniest of details.
3. Don’t Wait to Get Started
With a plan in place, it’s time to get started. Commit to taking your first step. Then, start looking for the right deals and viewing properties. There are lots of real estate investment tools, such as those available on Mashvisor. Plus, you can use solid real estate data, like the data Mashvisor can provide, to help the decision-making process.
4. Write Deals You Can Afford
When you’re writing offers for the properties that interest you, stick with terms you can afford because eventually, someone will accept your terms. An experienced real estate agent should help you find suitable properties and offer advice and guidance with the offer process.
5. Generate Cash Flow
Get the property ready for rental as soon as possible and start generating cash flow. With a tenant paying rent, the income will pay down your debt, cover expenses, build equity, and provide a monthly income.
6. Grow Your Portfolio
You wanted to know how to get rich with real estate, and the simple answer is that you have to build your portfolio. Residential real estate is an affordable and easy way to start your journey, but if your ultimate goal is millionaire status, you’ve got to buy more properties. Ultimately, you’ll need to consider buying properties with multiple units.
7. Consider Trading Up
Some of the wealthiest real estate investors have made it by trading up. Multifamily properties and commercial real estate generate more income.
One significant benefit of real estate investment is that you can defer capital gains tax when you sell a property and intend to purchase a new one. 1031 exchange is what this is called, and the tax savings leave you with more money to invest.
Once you’ve built equity, you also have the option of refinancing your properties.
8. Look for Way to Expand
With the cash flow and equity from your first property, you’ll find it easier to purchase a second one. The same applies to the second, third, and so on.
The bigger your portfolio, the more protection it will provide against any losses you might experience on future deals.
9. If You Find the Right Strategy For You Stick With It
You might use a range of investment strategies, but it’s essential to stick with one that works for you. You risk losing a large part of your accumulated wealth if you decide to deal in unfamiliar territory.
That’s not to say there’s anything wrong with stepping outside of your comfort zone. What it does mean is that you should do it with your eyes wide open.
Tips on Speeding Up the Process When You buy Investment Property
The road to being a millionaire real estate investor can be very long. But you don’t have to wait several decades as you can do things to speed up the process.
- Negotiate the best deals possible: Stronger deals will supercharge your growth.
- Buy more properties: The more properties you have in your portfolio and the quicker you buy them, the quicker the process.
- Buy in areas where properties are appreciating: Look for areas where appreciation is higher. Research job growth and other growth indicators.
- Force appreciation: Buying a fixer-upper property is one way you can increase the immediate appreciation of the property.
- Trade up: Upgrading to bigger and better deals is one of the fastest ways to achieve wealth through real estate.
How to Become a Millionaire Real Estate Investor – FAQs
How Many Rental Properties Does It Take To Become a Millionaire?
The answer to this question depends on your definition of being a millionaire. This is because there are two types of real estate millionaires:
- Someone with more than a million in real estate assets
- Some who has real estate assets that generate a million in income
The first type is much easier to achieve than the second. To become the second type, you have to become the first type of millionaire several times over.
To become a real estate millionaire, you may have to own at least ten properties. If this is your goal, you need to accumulate rental properties with a total value of at least a million.
What Is a Buy-And-Hold Strategy in Real Estate Investment Terms?
A buy-and-hold strategy is when a person invests in a property. Rather than fixing it and selling it right away, they hold on to the property. The ultimate goal might be to sell in the future, but in the short term, and if you want to become another real estate millionaire, the plan would be to rent out the property and generate income.
A buy-and-hold strategy can be adapted for many kinds of properties, such as:
- Vacation rentals
- Single-family homes
- Multi-family buildings
- Turnkey real estate
- Commercial real estate
How Important Is Real Estate Market Analysis?
Real estate market analysis plays an integral part in any real estate investment. There are various factors it helps to determine, such as the value of a property, how much you can charge for rent, the appropriate listing price for a rental property, and help you choose the right real estate investment property.
To help with your analysis, you can rely on solid real estate data, such as the data you’ll get from Mashvisor that includes traditional and Airbnb data analysis and interactive property analysis.
Are There Tools That Can Help a Real Estate Investor?
The best real estate investor tools will help you become the best real estate investor. AI, predictive analytics, big data, and machine learning algorithms have revolutionized things for property investors.
Manual analysis, rental data gathering, and investment calculations can now be done quickly and efficiently. Companies such as Mashvisor can offer the following:
- Educational Real Estate Guides
- Real Estate Heatmap
- Online Property Finder
- Investment Property Calculator
What Qualities Are Essential When You’re Learning How to Become a Millionaire in Real Estate?
If you’re keen on achieving millionaire status, there are some qualities you need to have. These qualities include:
- Attention to detail: A keen eye for detail helps when you invest in property. You also need to understand as much as you can about houses, building codes, and standards.
- Ability to build a network of real estate professionals: A network of industry acquaintances means you’ll spot the hot properties as soon as they become available.
- Ability to build a network of financial industry acquaintances: You’ll find such a network beneficial if you ever need funding quickly.
- Patience: Becoming a real estate millionaire will take time, dedication, and above all, patience.
- Willingness to keep up with the market: If you want to be profitable, keep your finger on the pulse so that you’re always very current on real estate-related information.
If you want to learn how to become a millionaire real estate investor, you could take many different paths and strategies. It’s something you could spend your whole life trying to learn and barely scratch the surface. However, becoming a millionaire in real estate is an achievable goal. It won’t happen overnight, but if you gain the right knowledge, make a plan, and be persistent, you’re on the right road to real estate investing success.
To start looking for and analyzing the best investment properties in your city and neighborhood of choice, click here.