Real estate is a very competitive industry. According to the National Association of Realtors (NAR), there are over 1.3 million licensed realtors in the US. In addition, there are more than 106,000 real estate brokerage firms in the US alone. To survive in such a market, you must find a way to stay ahead of the competition.
Your ability to find real estate seller leads is very important for your success. Knowing how to get real estate listings will keep the profits coming and boost your real estate agent career significantly.
1. Target Inherited Homes
Thousands of people inherit homes every year in the US. However, many people don’t have any desire to move into their inherited homes. Maybe the property is in a bad location for them or it requires extensive repairs. Or the maintenance and insurance costs are too high. Due to such reasons, many heirs end up selling their property.
You can find such real estate seller leads by simply searching the public records. If you visit the local courthouse, you should be able to access these records at no cost. You could also do an online search to find the local cases in your area. Visit Google and type in a query such as ‘Los Angeles county clerk inherited court cases’. This will generate results which you can use for further research.
2. Target Divorcees
Data from the American Psychological Association reveals that 40-50% of married couples in the US divorce. Though divorce is often a painful reality, it presents a great opportunity for finding real estate listings. According to wf-lawyers.com, there are more than 2 million divorces in America every year. The report further indicates that 60% of all divorces involve people aged between 25 and 39. In many cases, couples going through a divorce are highly motivated to sell their property. Finding such listings can therefore boost your business greatly.
One of the best ways of getting such real estate listings is by networking with attorneys. Whenever there is an impending divorce, you will probably be the first to know. Another strategy is to write blog posts offering advice about selling your home in a divorce and then promoting your content on social media. Be sure to include keywords that people are likely to use when searching on Google, as well as your contacts. Such posts are likely to attract divorced couples that need help selling their home.
3. Look for Distressed Properties
Many neighborhoods have homes that have been neglected or abandoned. This can be a great source of leads for real estate agents. Here are some of the signs of a distressed home:
- Tall or dead grass
- Broken or boarded up windows
- Overfill of newspapers or mail
- Code enforcement signs
- Deferred maintenance
Many owners of such properties would be willing to sell if they get a good offer. Drive around the neighborhood once in a while and look for signs of distressed homes. Write down the addresses and check the local county’s site for owner information. Alternatively, you could use tools for real estate agents such as Mashvisor to find homeowner data. Once you’ve signed up, visit your Mashboard and type in the home’s address. The tool will then automatically provide all the homeowner data you need.
To get access to our real estate investment tools, click here to sign up for Mashvisor today and enjoy 15% off.
After conducting a property owner search, you can then send out letters asking the homeowners if they are thinking of listing their properties for sale. If you are consistent with this strategy, you will never lack listings.
4. Organize Free Workshops
This is an effective, but underused strategy that can help you get listings in real estate. You can capture leads by organizing free workshops to educate property owners and investors on different topics. The idea is to identify their needs first and then offer helpful information. For example, if you’re targeting FSBO listings, you could cover subjects such as:
- Home staging tips
- Hosting successful open houses
- Pricing tips
- Working with local agents
When homeowners see you as an expert in the industry, they are likely to contact you. If you play your cards right, 20-30% of all your attendees could end up becoming solid leads.
Working in isolation is not how to get listings in real estate. Successful real estate agents make time to network with other people connected to the industry. This could be through seminars, conferences, open houses or social media. Those to target when networking include electricians, plumbers, building contractors, property managers, bank employees, and realtors. These people are among the first to know when a homeowner is getting ready to sell. You could offer a small commission as an incentive for every referral made. Don’t forget to inquire about expired listings when networking with other real estate agents.
6. Get Real Estate Listings on Facebook
- Create a business page – A Facebook business page will come in very handy for advertising your services. Have a professional profile and cover photo that represents you or your brand. In the ‘about’ section, provide important details such as what niche markets you are targeting and where you can be reached. Once your page is done, invite family, friends, and colleagues to like it so they can stay updated on your services and listings.
- Share helpful content – Bombarding people with listings on a daily basis is not how to get listings on Facebook. Instead, offer content that your followers would find interesting and helpful. This could be news updates regarding laws in the area, blog posts on home buying and selling, or how-to tips for DIY enthusiasts.
- Make use of Facebook ads – When it comes to how to get listings, Facebook ads are very powerful. You can target people based on demographics such as age, gender, interests, location, income level, and type of home being sold (condo, single-family home, multi-family home, etc). In addition, you could check relationship statuses to find people that are divorced or separated. Marketing your services to the right audience will enhance your chances of generating real estate leads.
Anyone can learn how to get listings in real estate. As you can see from the list above, the options for real estate lead generation are many. When it comes to how to get listings, you just need to think out of the box to stay ahead of the competition.
To learn more about how Mashvisor can help you, schedule a demo.