As a real estate investor, you probably know that location is part of the formula for success. So you read market reports on various US cities and you try to narrow it down as much as you can. But what about when it comes to getting access to neighborhood data? Real estate investment performance varies from neighborhood to neighborhood in the same city. So you absolutely need to know how any neighborhood will affect your return on investment before making a move.
Well, with Mashvisor, you can get real estate data on everything. Start with state-level real estate market data by visiting our blog and narrow it down to specific investment property data using our tools. With the use of predictive analytics, we also provide our clients with all the essential neighborhood data they need for a smart investment. These are the tools to use to find key neighborhood statistics:
1) Real Estate Heatmap
If you want a quick way to compare different neighborhoods without using spreadsheets, I would seriously consider using a heatmap to get neighborhood data. This is a real estate investment analysis tool that makes it easier than ever to distinguish between high and low performing neighborhoods in the same city. A combination of both visual cues and numerical data will ultimately show you where the best investment properties are located in the city.
Here’s How It Works:
- Mashvisor’s users can filter their search by choosing and prioritizing criteria. Choose from key metrics like rental income, cash on cash return, Airbnb occupancy rate, and property price.
- After setting your criteria for the chosen city, our analysis will begin. The map will immediately be highlighted in a range of different colors. Areas that light up in green represent locations that score high on your criteria. Red will mean the opposite; this area scored low on your chosen criteria. There will also be varying shades in between those colors.
- Because you can compare rental income and cash on cash return for both the Airbnb and Traditional strategy, you can choose a top-performing neighborhood based on your rental strategy of choice.
The Neighborhood Data
Mashvisor’s heatmap can save you from hours of searching and analysis by doing all the work for you in a matter of minutes. It provides you with key neighborhood data averages and neighborhood ratings on:
- Real Estate Price: If this is chosen as your priority criteria, the heatmap will be activated and your target will depend on your budget. Remember how the heatmap works: low-priced properties will be found in red areas (cheap neighborhoods) and high-priced properties will be found in the green areas.
- Cash on Cash Return: Users can also choose to locate neighborhoods based on return metrics. Set the filter to see areas with high cash on cash return and those with low CoC return. As mentioned, you can differentiate based on rental strategy (Airbnb or Traditional). That way, you can see which neighborhoods perform better for which strategy.
- Rental Income: Investors typically aim for neighborhoods with higher rental rates as this projects higher potential returns. Users can also compare and contrast between the average rental income investment properties would make in the various neighborhoods under each strategy.
- Airbnb Occupancy Rates: Wondering where to find neighborhood data for real estate investing in short term rentals? Set this filter and the heatmap turns into an Airbnb heatmap. The average occupancy rate that short term rentals have in a certain neighborhood can play a big role in choosing the optimal strategy there.
2) Neighborhood Analytics
Using Mashvisor’s neighborhood analytics, you can easily complete a neighborhood analysis. Our platform makes it easy to get access to neighborhood property data. Simply search for any city and you will see all the relative neighborhood statistics. When on the search results page, there will be a number of things you can click on to determine the most suitable neighborhood for your investment strategy.
Once you’ve used the heatmap and narrowed down an area in the city, you can hover over any neighborhood to get brief neighborhood statistics. A bubble with the following will pop up:
- The Mashmeter score (a number out of 100% that reflects the overall investment potential of the neighborhood)
- The Median property price
- Traditional and Airbnb cash on cash return
- Traditional and Airbnb cap rate
If the numbers you see interest you, you can access more detailed neighborhood data by clicking on the marker on the map. This will take you straight to the neighborhood map where you will find all the investment properties located there, in addition to even more neighborhood data like the Airbnb occupancy rate, Walk Score, and that location’s optimal rental strategy.
Click on the name of the neighborhood and you’ll be taken to the Neighborhood Analytics Page where you can find an even more in-depth analysis. In addition to the neighborhood stats already obtained, real estate investors will now also get historical rental income, neighborhood comps, and neighborhood insights:
The main section of Mashvisor’s Neighborhood Analytics Page is the rent analysis. Here, real estate investors can get data on the historical rental income (going back up to 10 months) for each investment property listed in that neighborhood.
Neighborhood Comps and Insights
With data on rental comps in the neighborhood, you can see and compare the different rental properties that have been sold in that area before choosing to buy a similar one for sale. You can take a look at the map and also compare the properties based on their position.
Mashvisor’s insights will give you our recommended property type and rental strategy- those that will bring the highest return on investment in that neighborhood based on predictive analysis. Users can also download/export an excel sheet of this neighborhood data if they prefer that format.
Check out our Neighborhood Analytics Page for yourself. For full access, start your 14-day free trial with Mashvisor now and get 20% off.
More Than Just Neighborhood Data
Mashvisor is currently providing its services to thousands of investors in the US real estate market. We collect data on traditional and Airbnb investment properties and are always updating our databases to give our users the most up-to-date and accurate projections of investment property market performance. Other than neighborhood data, Mashvisor basically provides real estate data for three main categories.
The first is investment properties– this tab gives users a list of available properties for purchase along with our data on each one. The other two are for traditional and Airbnb rental comps. You can see all existing rentals in the selected area and check out how they’re performing. Users can see what the monthly rent for traditional rental properties is, and nightly rates and monthly rental income for Airbnb properties. So it’s not just neighborhood data we provide, but rather real estate data on everything in the market. Learn more about our product.