If you are wondering how to be a realtor in the United States, here is what you need to do.
Becoming a real estate agent in the United States might be challenging. This is because every state has its own laws that regulate the real estate sector. However, there are some general requirements that will answer some of your questions on how to be a realtor. We can start with the general requirements to be a realtor in the United States:
How to be a realtor: Eligibility requirements to be a realtor
Here’s the checklist for you to start with:
- You must be at least eighteen to nineteen years old, depending on the state you want to be a realtor in.
- You must have legal US residency.
- You must complete the hours required for pre-license education, depending on the state in which you want to become a realtor.
- You must pass the real estate license examination in your state.
How to be a realtor: Make sure that real estate is the right career for you:
After you have met at least the first two eligibility requirements, you need to make sure that it is the right thing for you to be a realtor. This is, in fact, a very important step. It is a lot like every other career that requires full commitment. It includes many tasks, such as office management, taking care of the paperwork, developing connections, and dealing with property buyers and sellers. To help you understand more about this profession and decide whether it’s the right career for you, you can contact other real estate agents or real estate brokers. You can ask them about the career and its day-to-day work and eventually make a decision.
How to be a realtor: Understand the real estate licensing requirements in your state:
Now that you have decided to go on with the process and be a realtor, you need to know what the requirements of the real estate licensing are in your state. Remember, each state has its own regulations on real estate. You can do this through your state’s real estate commission website. It provides you with all the information you need to be a realtor. You can also search other websites, such as Kaplan. It offers all the information you need in order to become a realtor in your state.
How to be a realtor: Enroll in a real estate pre-licensing course:
Real estate licensing education might not be an easy thing to obtain. However, it is a determining factor in your career as a successful and a professional realtor. Many firms, technical schools, and universities offer real estate licensing programs. All you have to do is make sure you choose the right school, one with a good reputation, quality content, and excellent mentors. This does not mean you will have to attend the program. In other words, there are a variety of study methods. You can choose home study, or you can even choose online education if you do not want to attend classroom programs.
How to be a realtor: Apply for the real estate licensing exam:
This might take some time. So, it is necessary to follow the application process in order to apply for the test as soon as you finish your real estate licensing classes. This process includes paying some fees as well as a background check in some states. But do not let this get in your way to be a realtor. After all, everything requires a procedure and has an order in which it regulates. All you have to do is make sure that you proceed with it at the right time.
How to be a realtor: Pass the exam!
After preparing well for the real estate licensing exam and applying for it, you only need to pass the exam. At this point, you should be properly prepared. You can prepare through prep classes and even take some practice exams. This way you can measure your strengths and weaknesses, and therefore, work through your weaknesses.
Another thing to keep in mind is your attitude. Try to show up to your exam with a positive attitude. After all, you have done all that it takes, and there is no reason for you to panic or stress.
How to be a realtor: Choose the right real estate broker:
This is the last step for you to take. Even after you have passed the real estate licensing exam, it does not mean that you have got your license. You now have to choose a real estate broker to work with. Take into consideration the following tips:
- Scan the area in which you want to be a realtor. This includes reviewing printed materials of the local real estate brokerage, examining the location, and talking to other active real estate agents.
- Make sure that the real estate brokerage in which you want to be a realtor has a good reputation. Also, find out more about its establishment, specialization, and promotion procedures. In addition to that, check the quality of their ads and how much of the real estate market they serve? Finally, make sure all acquired information is convenient for you.
- After analyzing all that, you can interview the real estate broker. Find out more about the brokerage in terms of their goals, training plans, commissions and benefits, obligations toward you as a realtor, and any other questions you might have in mind. This is necessary for you in order to decide whether this real estate brokerage is suitable for you and if it can actually help you boost your career as a realtor.
How to be a realtor: Complete the paperwork required by your state:
After you have chosen the broker, all that is left to do is for you and the broker to complete the paperwork required by your state.This includes all the official documentation and proof that your state requires in order to issue the real estate license.
Now you are ready for your license to be issued by the state and proceed with your career in real estate. Although it requires a long process, it is still worth it. Successful realtors work efficiently in order to maintain their success. It all depends on your work quality, your personal qualities, and your will.
Related: How Much Do Real Estate Agents Make?
To acquire even more knowledge on anything related to real estate – in addition to how to be a realtor – keep reading on Mashvisor. It has tons of useful information for real estate investors and real estate agents alike.